Fire hazards come in various forms, but negligence is often to blame. Electrical equipment especially requires proper care to prevent fire hazards. However, this should not deter you from installing an outdoor lighting system as the risk is minimal when you utilize the proper care and procedures—yet another reason why you want to hire a certified landscape lighting technician. Following are some of the necessary steps to prevent a fire hazard on your landscape:
- Get a qualified lighting technician to carry out the installation, maintenance and repairs of your outdoor lighting system.
- Develop practices to control pests so as to avoid rodent damage to electric wiring and equipment.
- Make use of LED lamps: This is simply one of the best investments you can make in your outdoor lighting system. These lamps last for a considerable longer time, uses less energy and most importantly, they burn incredibly cool. LED lamps do not burn warm enough to trap heat that is capable of lighting something on fire.
- Safely care for your outdoor lighting – Adequate care should be taken when working with landscape lighting to avoid fire hazard. All outdoor outlets, lighting fixtures and bulbs should be protected by Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GCFI) breakers and should also be weatherproof. Your certified landscape lighting technician knows all the precautions to take.
- Use caution around flammable liquids such as solvents or gasoline. Leaves and other debris can create a dangerous fire hazard. Here are some tips to prevent such occurrence.
- Clear away the debris from the fixtures: Keep the fixtures clear of leaves, pine needles, mulch and other debris. Check your fixtures (particularly fixtures mounted on the ground and uplights) on a regular basis, especially during the fall. This will not only help avoid a fire hazard by preventing the debris from being overheated by the fixture, it also helps in maintaining the desired lighting effect. Your landscape lighting professional can help with maintaining your system, in order to minimize this risk.
- Have your in-ground lighting fixtures installed with covers: You can make use of a glass or plastic cover to keep the debris from resting directly on the bulb and also to add a layer of protection to your lighting fixtures. Ask your landscape lighting professional installer to help you with this!
Located in Summerfield, NC Southern Lights- Architectural and Landscape Lighting serves properties and property management companies throughout the state of NC including Greensboro, High Point, Jamestown, Burlington, Reidsville, Oak Ridge, Brown Summit, Winston-Salem, Clemmons, Raleigh, Charlotte, Kannapolis, Salisbury, Gastonia, Matthews, etc. Southern Lights has installed hundreds of outdoor landscape lighting systems and carries more certifications than anyone in the state. We specialize in lighting designs and service everything we install as well as lighting systems installed by others. With attention to detail and a solid knowledge of design, Southern Lights is the leading outdoor landscape lighting firm in the state of NC and beyond. See why our clients choose us. Contact us today by web (online form) or phone (336.451.4969)