Energy Saving Tips!
Simply stated, watts are watts! How, you might ask could a 12 volt outdoor landscape lighting system be more efficient than a 120 volt outdoor lighting system, and save you money? The key is that low voltage bulbs can be two to three times brighter per watt than incandescent line voltage bulbs. Low voltage lamp filaments are wound tighter, thus, they burn hotter and brighter. Therefore, 1000 watts of line voltage output would be similar in illumination to as little as 500 watts or even 300 watts in low voltage light output! The result is substantial savings.
This information is not new. It has always been an element of low voltage lighting and is one reason the 12 volt market has grown so quickly and continues to expand. Below is a chart showing the approximate power costs for a low voltage lighting system. The rates below are based on power costs of $0.09 per kilowatt-hour. Check your local rates to adjust accordingly.
| # oflights
||Hours PerDay Used
||Hours PerMonths Used
|| Cost PerHour
|| Cost PerDay
** Price of Kilowatts per hour = $0.09 ** You can use 1000 watts an hour for only 9 cents.
Using the above chart, compare the operation costs and see how inexpensive lighting can be. For more savings, use timers and modules to regulate the time that your transformer or transformers are running. Another savings method used is to separate your lighting system into zones. By breaking up your system into zones, this allows the customer to only run the areas they need on (ex. Separating the front and backyards).
Southern Lights is knowledgeable, professional, and honest in each and every service we provide; and this is what every homeowner should strive to find in a ‘Professional Installer.”
- Extending Views from Inside your Home
- Requires about 2/3 less power than a high voltage system
- Less obtrusive fixtures keeping them less visible during daylight hours
- Low Voltage systems are much safer than 120 volt systems because there is a reduced risk of shock
- Minimum property damage during installation
- Fixtures are easy to move as your landscaping matures
- Expandable – Lighthouse systems are designed to meet your outdoor lighting needs today and in the future.
- Worry free – Solid brass and copper lighting fixtures with a Lifetime warranty. Maintenance by full time Southern Exposure Lighting service crews.
- 1/4 the cost of installing a high voltage system