Jefferson Wood Neighborhood- Landscape Lighting Design
PROJECT SUMMARY: This landscape lighting design project was created by Pete Bryant and installed by he and his team, Southern Lights of NC: Architectural and Landscape Lighting. This system utilized over 70 fixtures to create this masterpiece. Our clients were interested in highlighting this white brick home, adding security around the garages, giving dimension and structure to their outdoor living space and patio, and up lighting their mature trees in this Jefferson Woods neighborhood in Greensboro, NC. Lighting control and scene selection was also important to this couple giving them total control of their lighting system through the use of an app.
LIGHTING FOCUS: Architectural Landscape Lighting, Outdoor Living Space Illumination, and Safety
LOCATION: Jefferson Wood Neighborhood in Greensboro, NC (Guilford County).
LIGHTING DESIGN: The goal of this lighting design was to capture the entire property in a natural & aesthetic way. This property had just finished receiving an addition to the garage and the outdoor patio & kitchen space. Luckily, we were able to utilize a existing sleeve in the driveway for one of our wire runs, but still had one run needing to be cut in. Southern Lights is fortunate to have the expertise of their parent company, Southern Exposure to perform all the hardscape installation needs of this project. It was clear from the beginning that this home was going to need more than a few lights to adequately illuminate all the unique and beautiful qualities of the home and landscape.
Through communication with the homeowners about their needs (less light when outside on patio watching movies and more light when dining) that this design would need some more detail in the wire layout and scene selection. Three scenes were decided on and a dimmer to individually control the play set lights.
Along the back of the property stood their mature trees that we strategically choose which trees to light and which ones to skip. A combination of both up lights and down lights were used in this lighting design. The down lights helped to create natural moonlighting effects and give a more balanced feel. Here at Southern Lights, we pride ourselves as a company that can provide a lighting solution for any situation that may arise. Creating custom landscape lighting designs requires years of experience and knowledge of the landscape, hardscape, and architecture. This landscape lighting designs had many elements for our experienced installers to test their stills.
HURDLES TO OVERCOME:
- Porch Overhang at Front Door: required additional fixture mounted on top of porch to properly light the front elevation of this home.
- Recessed Dormers: required gutter mounted fixtures to adequately light features
- Columns Along Patio: required core drilling in order to mount custom flush mounted can lights where Southern Lights was unable to place a fixture from the bottom
- Play set Lighting: required two down lights mounted to home facing play set to illuminate so kids could play at night
- Dimming Capabilities: required a lighting dimmer to control the play set lighting when kids weren’t outside
- Automate Lighting System and Give App Control: utilized our best selling automation software & app control
- Scene Selection: required additional wire runs in order to group correct light fixtures together in order to create the proper scenes
- Security Lighting at Garage: required core drilling above garage soffit in order to mount custom flush mounted can lights
Located in Summerfield, NC Southern Lights Architectural and Landscape Lighting serves properties and property management companies throughout the state of NC including Greensboro, High Point, Jamestown, Burlington, Reidsville, Oak Ridge, Brown Summit, Winston-Salem, Clemmons, Raleigh, Charlotte, Kannapolis, Salisbury, Gastonia, Matthews, etc. Southern Lights has installed hundreds of outdoor landscape lighting systems and carries more certifications than anyone in the state. We specialize in lighting designs and service everything we install as well as lighting systems installed by others. With attention to detail and a solid knowledge of design, Southern Lights is the leading outdoor landscape lighting firm in the state of NC and beyond. See why our clients choose us. Contact us today by web (online form) or phone (336.451.4969)